With December came the last week of the semester, the crazy-fun culmination of everything we’d learned over the last few months. There was scrambling, and panic, and late night meetings and script rehearsals, as well as several trips to the printer to make sure our materials would print just right. For Margin Press, we had the added “joy” of trying to put a square logo on a round object. Keyan, one of my amazing teammates, solved the problem by etching the logo on a flexible eraser, though in my panic we tried ink as the stamping mechanism, rather than straight up acrylic paint. I didn’t realize how easy it could have been until the day of the presentation… but, live and learn! In the end, we’d done all we could, and I walked into the sales conference feeling pretty confident about what we’d accomplished. The books felt real. Our company felt real. All the marketing plans, P&Ls, and TI sheets felt real. All that was left was to convince the panel of that, too.
The Sales Conference
December 2nd was the big day: the last day of the semester, and the day of our 20-minute presentations. Margin Press was eager to really make an impact, so we decided to divide the presentation up dynamically, with each person talking about the elements of the books that would have been under our proposed job within the company. This ended up working out really well, since I introduced each title’s pitch and general information, then talked about the Blippar tech augmentations, before passing it off to the next person. This allowed us to review our note cards between titles, so there was less of a chance of getting stuck or freezing while the timer was running.
Each panelist received a print copy of our catalogue and tip sheets, which are photographed in the album below, and a goodie bag full of the stuff pictured above, as well as the juggling balls, which I’ve included in the gallery below. We even found bags that were the right aqua color for our company! It all looked really awesome, if I do say so myself. 😎
Our presentation went well. We had practiced it for a few hours the day before and before the conference, which allowed us to make adjustments so nothing overlapped too much. We didn’t want information repeated when we only had 20 minutes to get through introductions and four books. It also reduced the sheer amount of data we had to memorize. Because of all that prep, the presentation itself just flew by. I think we all sounded relaxed, even if we weren’t inside. Let me tell you—all those years teaching paid off! I didn’t get stage shy at all.
After the presentation, the three panelists were invited to make comments, ask questions, and critique everything. This was the part I was nervous about. We were the second group to present, and the first group were grilled for almost forty minutes. Forty!! But something miraculous happened….
They only had a few nitpicks!
In general, we got really glowing reviews, with my favorite being the panelist from Penguin Random House Canada telling us that our TIP sheets were the best-designed she’d ever seen. (I’m allowed to squee here, right?! I designed those!) Also, the panelists I had pegged as the one who would be the hardest to impress had very little to say, except that she wanted to publish all of our titles and wished they were real books. Later, several members of the faculty approached us to congratulate us again, and applaud the final presentation of the tech, which they had apparently still been the most worried about.
All in all, I’m still glowing from it, and it’s more than two weeks later.
….but apparently I’m going to be able to do this all over again, because next semester Magazine Project is basically the same deal. 😂 Here’s hoping everyone in the cohort is ready to dive into that kind of madness again when the time comes.
I don’t have school again until January 4th, but that doesn’t mean I’m free of MPUB. I need to update my resume and portfolio and look for places to intern at. Sadly, my first choice does not have any openings for this summer. Our design course also has two side projects that we’re all supposed to work on over the break, and in typical-me fashion, I’ve made the courses far more complicated than they need to be. One of the projects I’ve mentioned before: the book redesign project. I’ll be redesigning Nine Princes of Amber by Roger Zelazny. This involves a complete cover redesign and interior layout.
The other project is a Visual Identity Program, which is basically branding yourself or a company with fonts, colors, stationary, a website, etc. I’m kind of excited about this one, since I’ve been wanting to redesign Country Mouse Design for a couple of years now, and this is the perfect opportunity to do it, and get professional feedback while I’m at it. I’m even making a branding book that includes promotional item mockups, grid systems, and templates for my invoicing, estimates, and contracts. Pretty exciting stuff. It looks SO pretty, you guys… here’s a sneak peek:
That concludes the first semester of MPUB! Woohoo!! Upcoming posts include a couple of Christmas holiday events I’ve attended around Vancouver, (hopefully!!) the last Archetypes post, and my notes from MagsWest. I hope you all are enjoying your holiday. 🙂