Photography: Canada

Corset

tree bark

Ribbons of bark tying together the trunk of a tree, long grown over. (Coquitlam, BC)

This weekend, NJ and I went out to the farmers market in Coquitlam. The food was excellent, the produce sellers persuasive, and the aromas divine. While I could make this a long post, I think the image captures my current mood best: mending, and secure.

Our new place is awesome. πŸ™‚

Bonus pic! All of our books prior to sorting and shelving.

shelfless shelfie

Shelfless Shelfie (say that three times fast…)

19 thoughts on “Corset

1. saraletourneau says:

Look at all those books! πŸ˜€ It sounds like you’ve found new homes for them now…?

Glad to hear you’re settling into your new place. And what a neat photo of the tree bark “corset.” I don’t think I’ve ever seen a tree do that before.

Yes! And we -almost- got everything on the bookshelves we brought with us. NJ’s Dragonlance and Forgotten Realm books have to get their own shelf, though… otherwise, everything is unpacked and we are in love with the new house! I feel so much better than I’ve felt in a long while. The power of a new place!

And yeah, I’d never seen it either. At first I thought it was that twine sometimes gardeners wrap around trees to protect them from insects, but it really was BARK. So I don’t know. But cool, all the same!

2. shoreacres says:

There was a time in my life when I judged the size of book collections by how much furniture they could make. It looks to me like you have a coffee table, two end tables, a couple of footstools and a lampstand there.

I’m entranced by the bark picture. I can’t figure it out. Is this a species of tree that does that, or has someone gotten artistic with it? or tried some technique to solve an earlier problem? In any event, it’s a great, unusual photo.

That’s a great way to judge the size of a book collection. πŸ˜€ I’ll have to borrow it in the future when looking at piles of books.

As far as the tree, I have no idea. As I wrote in a comment above, “at first I thought it was that twine sometimes gardeners wrap around trees to protect them from insects, but it really was BARK.” Maybe it was a special pruning technique, but I can’t figure it out. Haha.

I know… T-T It needs some serious additions. Unfortunately my entire wish list right now are books in the $30+ range…. so I have to do it slowly. v.v

3. Denise says:

I would have book piles like that if I periodically did not go through and weed them out for the library resale shop. And then regret my decisions two years later, lol. Love the bark photo.

When we moved from Japan, moving the library was the single greatest expense… but as NJ and I are both writers and going into the publishing industry, there’s basically a motto of “No book left behind.” ….even when it seems impractical. πŸ˜… But I did measure the costs of how much it would be to buy books again, or to ship, and shipping ended up being cheaper.