Kyoto in Tilt

Kyoto, Japan

Kyoto City, looking eastward.

The last few days of fall are upon us. The changing colors came late this year. Soon, winter will be here, and with it, the last season I’ll spend in Japan. I’m still processing what that means to me, and the gravity of the change that is in my future… but for now, I’m keeping positive and productive. I’ve sent off my application for grad school (fingers crossed), and am making plans for the holiday. The o-sechi and Christmas cake are ordered, the postcards bought, and trash bags for the things that won’t be making it to Canada with us. The holiday is going to be a bit of a roller coaster, but I think I’ll weather it fine.

I have some fun posts planned over the next few weeks, but for now, here are some of my favorite photos from my last excursion.

Also, this is your last chance to sign up for a New Years card! If you’d like a postcard from Japan with a personalized message, I’m offering postcards to anyone who signs up for my newsletter at the following link. I will NOT use your mail address for anything else besides this event. My newsletter is merely a weekly bulletin letting you know if I’ve posted anything you might want to come back and read. 🙂

Year of the Monkey Stickers

You know you want in on the cuteness.

23 thoughts on “Kyoto in Tilt

1. Marilyn Albright says:

What a lot of exciting changes you have ahead – grad school and the culture that surrounds you being two major ones…I wish you well with everything. Happy holidays and I look forward to hearing about the next chapter of your life!

Thank you! Yes, I’m really hoping they accept me…. I can only bite my nails in the meantime, haha. Happy holidays to you and yours as well! ^_^

2. shoreacres says:

I remember moving to Liberia, and I remember moving back to the States from Liberia. Each had its challenges. I’m sure you’ll do well with the great changes ahead: as exciting as they will be challenging. And I’m tickled with that new, seasonal avatar. Merry Christmas!

Thanks, heehee. I figured a seasonal avatar would be fun and merry for everyone. 🙂 Glad you noticed it! I think the biggest challenge with moving has definitely been figuring out how to offload furniture (without paying too much). Very luckily, I found someone willing to adopt our bird today… so a spot of relief amidst the stress. 🙂

3. jazzfeathers says:

Beautiful photos as always. I love those colours.

It’s strange when you go for such a dramatic change. It’s sad to think what you leave behind, but it’s alsoso exciting thinking to all the new possibilities.
    Have a fantastic winter season in Japan. One to remember.

Yes, Vancouver is very photogenic, so I’m excited to explore around there, in between studying really hard at grad school (if I get in). 🙂

4. Lissa Clouser says:

Beautiful photos as always. Make sure to soak up all the wonderfulness of the next couple of months! I know you will.

The very first photo of this post (the one that is your header) makes me think of a beautifully created miniature set created for a movie. Something about the composition. I really like it!

It’s tilt shift! 😀 My new camera has a setting that lets me use it automatically. It’s really fun for wide angle areas. 🙂 And thank you! Happy holidays! ^_^

5. Jean says:

So are you still going to B.C. even if you don’t get accepted to grad school?

And which month will you bound for Canada?
    Hope you find time to write in Canada. 🙂 I will spending Christmas and New Year’s in Vancouver. Hope to bike around..even if it rains gently.

Yep! My partner is at the end of her visa options in Japan, so we would need to go to Canada even if I didn’t get in…. but it would be awesome if I did! 😀

Looks like we’ll be heading back mid or early April next year…. just a few more months (yikes!) I hope you have a great time in Vancouver! I was there last Christmas/New Years and the weather was gorgeous. I think it only rained one day!