As a writer, I am always on the lookout for inspirational sources, charismatic people, and knowledge. Blogging, and following other blogs, is one of the ways I do that.
There are thousands of blogs across the Internet. Many are beyond exceptional, balancing content and community in ways that are to be admired. And some deserve more love.
With all of that in mind, I have created a new blog award with the badge pictured on the left. This is not a chain-mail award: there are no questions to answer, no people to nominate, and no blog posts to write. It is a badge of recognition, which also includes a very small monetary award. I am the only person that curates the List, though I do accept suggestions.
The idea for this award came about during the Blogging in April A-Z Theme Reveal and Reflections posts of 2015, where a compilation of around twenty blogs turned out to be wildly popular among my readership. At the end of April, I decided that I would enjoy continuing the feature, highlighting blogs with exceptional authors and content.
One of my goals in creating this award is a return to quality over quantity in blogging. Though this is personal preference, the award’s criteria are gleaned with that in mind:
- The majority of the blog’s post are original content. Interviews and reviews are included in this. Blog tours and blog hops are not.
- The blog’s posting schedule does not matter. Blogs with a twice a day, once a day, or once a month schedule are all eligible. The focus is on the quality of the posts, overall.
- The blog owner is active in their own personal community, AND/OR on other blogs. One of the elements I look for in a Must-Read Blog is engagement. This translates to discussions in the comments, on their own blog, or in the comments sections of their followers’ blogs.
NOMINATION & AWARD
- If I select your blog for this award, you are under no obligation to do anything. If you do not want your blog on the List, you are also free to tell me to remove it. The link on the List directs people to a ‘typical’ post that I enjoyed on your blog, ‘typical’ being understated as ‘they really are this awesome all the time.’
- I think great blogs deserve something when they get an award. Though it’s not much, any blog on the List is eligible for a $10 monetary gift. This is meant to help with blog hosting or domain name fees, but can be used for anything. The money will be sent by either PayPal or Amazon GiftCard. You do not have to accept the money, but it is there. Email me at info[at]alex-hurst.com to claim your award.
- Once your blog is on the List, you are free to place the badge on your site. Link it back to this post. If a blog is not on the List, it has not been officially curated, and is abusing the badge.
- I follow a lot of blogs, but I don’t follow them all. If you think you’ve found a blog that is deserving (even your own), feel free to leave a comment here directing me there.
- Peak Perspective – The blog of Shelley Sackier, a witty blogger, author, and certified life-explorer. Each post on Shelley’s blog includes hand-drawn comics by Robin Gott. I am always entertained by this blog. As of this nomination, Shelley’s blog has received four Freshly Pressed nominations, and it’s not hard to see why.
I knew I would be nominating Shelley’s blog the moment I began this award because she has been the most vibrant, original, and engaging blogger I have come across on WordPress. She makes it look effortless. No matter what your interests are, her posts can speak to you.
To keep up with the permanent page for this award, visit the award’s link under my about header, or follow this link: