2013: A Year in Photos

I have a “tradition” (read: necessity) that every year I go through the photos I’ve taken, select only the very best to remain on my laptop, and then send the rest to cold storage (my external HD). It’s an interesting, retrospective journey, in which I can reflect on my life as much as with what I have taken photos of, as what I haven’t. 2013 was a sparse year for photography, which makes me a little sad, so I’ve resolved to make a bit more effort this year to lug around my camera, and not feel so guilty about taking photos during outings.

This post is simple; just a gallery of the photos I’ve decided tell the “story” that was me in 2013. If you’re interested in seeing the full photo sets (there are a LOT), you can head over to my Flickr and follow me there, or peruse the stream. I’ve added descriptions to all of the images below, so if you click them, you can find out why it was included. Enjoy!

10 thoughts on “2013: A Year in Photos

Thanks Deborah! I’m glad you like them. Compared to other years, they’re not as pretty… But I do think they’re more intimate. Not a bad trade off. πŸ™‚ thanks for the comment!

1. Andrew says:

I never actually make time to go back through my photos. Every once in a while, they just all get moved elsewhere.
    Then I can’t find them when I want them, of course. :/

Yeah… I have the same problem, haha. I should start using my camera’s function to ‘name’ sessions so I can at least quickly search that way.

Hi Gary! Thank you. I’m using a Sony HX100V. It’s a DSLR, so no external lenses. πŸ™‚ Some of the photos were just taken with my iPhone though, haha.

2. Marilyn Albright says:

This is quite an interesting post of your year. I love the Miniature Museum! And congratulations on all your writing achievements. You are involved in an amazing number of time-consuming activities, and I’m glad to see you and NJ still have time for fun!
    I also take thousands of photos every year, and my way of organizing is to load them into Lightroom every day and immediately throw out the obvious bad ones. About once a week or so I put those into folders, making new folders if necessary. If I have time to look at them again I may delete others. The end of my year is after our six months in Alaska before coming to Mexico. That is when I look and delete again before loading onto the external hard drive and making a DVD. This way the photos are immediately sorted, so I can always find what I want. Otherwise it would be a monumental task probably never completed.

Thank you, Marilyn! I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ll have to look into Lightroom. I haven’t heard of it before. Right now I just use iPhoto, but I’m not too happy with it (it’s rather bulky and it’s difficult to organize photos by anything other than date, easily). I should make a DVD too. Thanks for the ideas!